Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tintagel

May 04, 2007


WOW! Whilst Jon was visiting, we took the family (and our good friend, Bethany Smith) down to Cornwall and went to see Tintagel Castle. It was AMAZING! (we are
SO going back!) For those who know nothing or have never heard of Tintagel, here is some information of interest.

Tintagel sits high above the seas, a most evocative place to visit. One can soak up the atmosphere generated by the dramatic views and wonderful
legends.

Tintagel is famous for its connection with the Arthurian legends. King Arthur was said to be born on Tintagel Island where the remains of the 13th-century castle stand today. Below the castle on the Castle Beach is Merlin’s cave (pictures to follow).

The walk down to the castle
completed, you have a choice on what to see first - the church or the castle ... we opted for the castle, seeing as there were toilets nearby (an obvious choice).

The ruins of the castle were very nice, but the VIEW! The view is spectacular! Of course, I made everyone 'touch history' whilst walking around the castle and church! ;) Sir Austin had his sword and defended the castle quite nicely!

There is a certain spot where I almost lost my cool ... OKAY, I did lose my cool! Jacob was sitting at the edge of the cliff and Sir Trips-a-lot (Austin) is walking right by him. Of course, I can't see the ledge below them - all I see is a cliff and Austin tripping. I cried. I cried a lot. End of story. (it is on video, thank you very much) Oh, and the blood-curdling scream I shrieked - you would have thought someone would have come running ... but NO! Whatever ... :(

After the castle, we had a bite to eat at a pub ... Cornish pasty was the fare of the night! YUMMY!

I wish we could have stayed longer! We drove to Exeter and stayed over night in a guest house (they had a Book of Mormon in the dresser ... woo hoo!) and made our way back home via Bath and Stonehenge. (pictures later ... I'm tired!)

Good times ... ;)

1 comments:

Jerry and Maaret said...

SWEET updates! I wish I had something so exciting to post... but a whole lotta NUTHIN is happening here... those belly pics were really gross... why do people do that to themselves? talk to you later...