Monday, December 15, 2008

December 7, 2008

The Night of the Nativity

This year, our family participated in 'The Night of Nativity', a live representation of the first Christmas. You may ask, "was it cold"? The answer would be a resounding "YES"! I believe my hands were frozy and my face froze, but it was worth it! :)

This is the 3rd annual one and I was a little enthusiastic about signing up for things ... not only was I in charge of getting groups of carolers together, I signed our family up to be in the live nativity. Austin was going to be a shepherd or wise man, but alas - he was too short to fit into the costumes. :( He was bummed, but what cheered him up was the animals! A petting zoo brought their livestock over - llamas, a donkey, sheep, a Shetland pony, a goat and some little 2 month old kid goats. They were so cute! They also entertained him all day. Speaking of all day, we were literally at the church all day - 10:00am church starts, 4:00pm nativity starts ... seeing as church is over at 1:00pm, no one wanted to drive the 1/2 hour home, stay at home for an hour and then drive the 1/2 hour back. We brought food and had a potluck with other families that travel a bit far to the chapel. The hot dogs I brought were a big hit, thank you very much! :)

One of the cooler things about the night was the press coverage. Our local television station came with a camera and even interviewed our Bishop! The local newspaper, the Grand Forks Herald, was there, too. I guess there was a nice representation on the tv that night, but we missed it. :( I wonder if I can go and look at the archives and view it ... hmmm ...

Austin and his llama and sheep friends ...

getting Melissa all ready for the choir ....

the choir ... at least one group of us! how do I look in a top hat?

another view of our little quartet ... my pink crocs look perfect, no?

a view of the live nativity and the carolers ...

a pic of the cameraman taking some video ...

Jacob, the wisest man of all ... :)

Ah, our little princess is wise, too ...

bearing gifts ...

ah, Elder Carpenter, me, Elder Dean and Elder Prisbrey, pretending to be singing ...

1 comments:

Jerry and Maaret said...

what a SWEET nativity!!! I love the costumes and the set and the animals and everything... that looks like it was so much fun! Way to volunteer!!!