Friday, January 16, 2009

January 10, 2009

Monster Truck Jam-o-rama!
"When in Rome, do as the Romans" ... when in Grand Forks, do as the Forkers! (huh?) Anyhoo, there was a monster truck rally at the Alerus Center (where we watch the Fighting Sioux play football) and we could not pass on the opportunity! :) The foster kids came with us and good times were had by all!

Here are most of our party - poor Melissa was cut off - awaiting the big event to begin! The fuzziness of the picture is insane ...

Here is an "action" shot of Sheer Insanity (on the left) vs. The General ... The General (looks like the General Lee from Dukes of Hazard) was quite popular with the crowd! Please note the Canadian flag - yes, we're that close! :)

Ah, the poor General having to get towed off the field - there were quite a few tows needed that night! - it was leaning dangerously to one side ... could it have been the shocks? I don't know too much about cars to know ...

Melissa said that she now wants to be a monster truck driver, and has requested that she get her driver's license early. HA! Yes, she is hilarious! She must get all of her humor from me, not her father! Muah ha ha ha ...

This is a picture of the female monster driver and her truck, TNT

This is not the first monster truck rally that Jacob and the kiddos have been to. Jacob and the kids are veteran's at this monster truck stuff When we were in New Mexico, he took them to the races there. I believe I had a previous commitment with a calling or something - Jacob said that the one in NM was better-er. We still enjoyed ourselves! I was amazed at the number of people in the crowd - nearly sold out! I guess there's not much else to do around here in the winter ... :)

They had a "wheelie" contest - it was actually kind of scary watching them!

You will have to forgive me on the quality of the pictures ... the lighting was a little too dark to have the flash off and the flash didn't do much on ... I do believe I need a new one (hint hint Jacob). :)

There was a part of the evening called "tough trucks" - it consisted of local yocals (ha, just kidding) driving their trucks around the track. This truck was the first to "bite the dust" and actually one one of the "tough trucks" ended up not having to be towed away!

Ah, I saved the best for last. The truck, Bear Foot, is a 3-time champion (if I heard correctly). This man sitting ahead of me said that the trucks cost around $200,000 - $300,000 (yeowch) and the special fuel that it costs makes this a very expensive hobby! You'll have to forgive my video skills - it's on my camera, so it's a little choppy. Enjoy!

1 comments:

Jerry and Maaret said...

soooooo super fun!!!!