Monday, September 22, 2008

GFC Homecoming 2008

Go Knights!

It's that time of year again! Actually, I recall homecoming a bit later in the season but I'm glad (as I'm sure Melissa is) that it wasn't snowing! ;)

Friday night was our Homecoming game - GFC (Grand Forks Central) vs. Wahpeton. It was a good game even though we lost by 4 - we all turned out in our GFC shirts and sweatshirts. I thought it was a bit too hot for the sweatshirt but when it got to be halftime, it was a little chilly.

Jacob and I joined the Booster club and we volunteered to work the consession stand. FUN FUN! Well, it was hot, hot anyway! Austin was with us (he was in charge of filling the bowls with chips for anyone who wanted nachos) and Melissa hung with her friends in the stands.

There were a few differences between football games here and what I recall of my time in high school. The most important bullet for me is #1 - the band. I love the band!

1 - BAND: When I was in high school, the band played throughout the 1st and 2nd quarters and at homecoming, the band did a little 'ditty' out on the field. It was something we looked forward to! Oh, and we had a little parade in the street. Here in GF, the band didn't play in a parade, didn't play at all during the 1st half and didn't have a little 'ditty' during halftime. RUDE is all I'm saying here.

2 - SPIRIT: School spirit was big when I was going to high school. At this game, there was hardly any cheering in the stands unless the team scored or something important like that.


3 - CHEERING: Okay, maybe it's because I was the co-captain of one of Melissa's cheer squads but the cheerleaders at GFC were totally NOT cheering ... they hardly said a cheer! I'm sure Jacob was sick and tired of my "why don't they do a cheer" comments throughout the night!


4 - DANCE: At my high school, the homecoming dance was after the game. Here at GFC, the game was on Friday and the dance was on Saturday. This is just weird to me.

Speaking of the dance, Jacob and I chaperoned the dance (Melissa is not to attend a dance unless it is chaperoned by one or both of us). The 'semi-formal' dress code was adhered by the girls, but most of the boys wore jeans/shorts and t-shirts. RUDE. You don't even want to know about the young lady in the go-go boots, fish net stockings and the very skimpy, tight dress (I'll call it a dress to be nice). Melissa went to the dance with her friend Amber. They got ready at our house and I took some pics of the girls before we left for the dance.

The dance was from 7:30-11:00p and, although Melissa had fun, the night dragged on and on for Jacob and I. Some of the music was acceptable (AC/DC, Joan Jett, you know - oldschool) but the other music was just that "rap-crap" I can't stand. When you play that kind of music, kids are going to get their grind on and frankly speaking, I don't need to see any of that. Most of the kids would shape up if they saw a chaperone coming but some of them ... YEOW!

Well, that was the homecoming weekend in a nutshell. Sounds like fun, no? :)

2 comments:

Jerry and Maaret said...

Whoa! Look at you all involved in school functions! Way to go! You are such a great mum :) I really enjoyed reading your post- it really made me miss you. Sounds like you're having fun there in North Dakota! Alaska is pretty fun so far... except for the ravenous mosquitoes and the rapidly dropping temperatures! Brr..... We expected that, though, so it's alright. Anyhoo... I hope you have a lovely day, friend. ciao.

Jon said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, but like you I think bands need to be playing and cheerleaders need to be cheering...and oh yeah, fans need to actually WATCH the game!

We have homecoming here mid-late October. This year it's October 17-18 and my brother is coming home for it for his 10-year reunion. I like homecoming because all alumni get into the game free. The dance, though, is always Saturday night since the game isn't even over until 9:30. That seems to be pretty standard practice now.

Let's see, here, our marching band gets the third quarter "off" and they play for the other three quarters, though 4th quarter is when they play the most.

Our cheerleaders do, in fact, cheer throughout the game. Fascinating, huh?

Also, I agree with you: jeans to a homecoming dance?!?!? Someone needs to announce and ENFORCE a dress code for a formal dance...geeeeeeezzz!

I only went to homecoming my freshman year (fall '96); I did, however, go to all 4 junior-senior proms while I was in high school ;).