Monday, December 11, 2006

Whilst in Rome...

Can you say ROMA?!

It's time again for a trip to Europe! This time, the designation was Roma! Ang, Ashley and I left on Monday morning (in the wee hours). This time, I had a bit of the flu. Alright, I had a LOT of the flu! I was feeling horrid! Vomitting, fever and other nasty things were going on inside my stomach and (may I state for the record) made for a very uncomfortable plane ride! We arrived in Rome and took a coach bus to the Roma Termini, which is the hub for the bus system there.


Our accomodation was really close by ther terminal, and we would have been there twenty minutes earlier if the "hotel" (I use the term loosely) had a sign on the outside! I laid down for awhile and then, after I caught my second wind, we headed out towards the colisseum! The streets of Rome were interesting to navigate - we were able to see a lot of street vendors, which is always nice if you are looking for a bargin! The colisseum was great to see (oh, the bathrooms were okay - seeing as I was in them the majority of the time!) and we all enjoyed a bite to eat. It was 'lights out' at 6:00pm for me - poor Ang and Ashley shared a twin-size bed ... I wonder why no-one wanted to share with me? ;)

On Tuesday, we went to the Roman Forum (aka Palatino) and very much enjoyed looking around there. It was earlier in the morning and whilst we were there, it seemed like we were in a whole new world. It was very peaceful and serene (except for the gestapo guard).

How does someone top off a great day in Rome? Join a protest! Yes, that's right! We joined a protest - we are still a little confused on the exact reason for the protest! What we do know is that it was political and had something to do with the police. Whether they were wanting a raise or didn't want the police to have a raise is the question! The men who roped us into the protest were really nice and funny and they thought it was awesome that Americans would join in. As long as it wasn't anti-American, I think we'll be okay!

Well, we wrapped it up with shopping - I bought Melissa a Louis Vuitton purse (knock-off, of course - don't tell anyone!) and some big sunglasses. Austin got a Roma sweatshirt, a Smart car and a Vespa (all he wanted was a car ;) ) and I bought Jacob an Italia sweatshirt that is too short in the arms because he's so tall!

All-in-all it was a fun trip, but we all came to the same conclusion - it was too long to stay away from our loved ones! Day trips only, from now on!



The picture with Ashley and Ang standing behind a shopkeeper is HILARIOUS - I was looking at the pasta that was for sale and the shopkeeper came out and gave me the "look" (as you can see from the photo!)

The photos of the marble statues were taken at the museum in the palatino. I love the picture of the lady - "argh, me hearties" OR "I curl my lip at you" could describe it!



1 comments:

Jerry and Maaret said...

hey i got the most awesome white elephand gift i've EVER seen at a relief society party... it was FAKE BOOBS!!!! Could you imagine the SCANDAL if that was in our WARD???? HAHAHA!!! I thought of you and I laughed and laughed. Miss you oodles and oodles.
Mar